After Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge stayed for one and half years in Mizoram they became more familiar with the native language. Then they started translating the Bible which they thought was almost an impossible task in the beginning. The Bible translation commenced with the Gospel of Luke in the afternoon of August 21, 1895. Subsequently, they continued translating the Gospel of John and the book of Acts of the Apostles. Considering the context in which they worked it was quite appropriate to begin the translation from the Gospel of Luke which emphasizes the universal significance of the gospel of Jesus Christ, then to continue with the Gospel of John which beautifully attests the love of God for the World and then to take up Acts of the Apostles which vividly describes the life and ministry of the Church in the earliest stage of Christianity. In fact this is the typical sequence usually followed when the Bible has been translated for the first time in the Mission fields.
Initially, in the translation works, Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge were assisted by two first native literate leaders namely Mr. M. Suaka and Mr. Thangphunga who were the first to learn the skill of writing and reading from the missionaries. In the meantime the team worked on an English – Lushai Dictionary. It is interesting to note that the two native leaders who helped the missionaries in translation works later became chiefs near Aizawl at Durtlang village and Chaltlang village respectively. It is also worth noting here how Rev. Lorrain describes the busy schedule with which they engaged themselves on one of those days which certainly would be typical of the rest of those busy days thus: “Translation work from 9-11 AM, correcting manuscripts with Suaka. All afternoon Fred and I busy ourselves at manuscripts. Times between are occupied with making faith copy of corrected sheets and keeping Dictionary entered up – for we are even now fitting new words daily.” The Bible translators wanted to see that the translation was carried out with utmost care and that the message was intelligible to the natives. At one point of time they would even read easy parts of the translation to the children in Sunday School to make sure that they were properly understood.
On August 31, 1897, after Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge worked in Mizoram for three years and seven months, Rev. D.E. Jones (Zosaphluia), a missionary sent by the Welsh Mission arrived at Aizawl to work in Mizoram. Earlier, Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge were asked by their home mission to withdraw from the region in accordance with Arthington’s policy of moving missionaries every two or three years. As Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge were eager to continue to work in Mizoram they came to realize that the Welsh Mission had formally adopted Mizoram as its Mission field in 1892 and that Arthinton’s agent in India, Mr. St. Dalmas had already handed over the field to the Welsh Mission. Having become deeply attached to the work, the people and the land, the two pioneer missionaries offered their service as evangelists to the Welsh Mission. As their offer was not acceptable to Welsh Mission arrangements were made by both the parties so that Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge waited for the arrival of Rev. Jones who was officially appointed as a missionary in May 1897. Thus they engaged themselves together in translation and other mission works for a while before the pioneer missionaries left Mizoram on December 31, 1897.
As they left Mizoram, Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge took along with them the Mizo translation of the Gospel of Luke, Gospel of John and the Acts of the Apostles, and they left the manuscripts with the Bible Society at Calcutta for printing. However, for unknown reason, the manuscripts kept laying at Calcutta for months without printing and finally were sent back to Rev. D.E. Jones at Aijal who immediately despatched them to England for printing. There, perhaps with much persuasion by the Welsh Mission leadership. The British and Foreign Bible Society, London printed the first books of the Mizo/Lushai Bible such as, The Gospel According to Luke and The Gospel According to John in 1898, and The Acts of the Apostles in 1899. The Gospel of Luke arrived first by post in June 1899 followed by The Gospel of John and Acts of the Apostles. In the midst of all these Rev. Edwin Rowland (Zosapthara), another Welsh missionary had arrived at Aijal on December 31, 1898 to assist Rev. D.E. Jones. The former helped the latter in Bible translation apart from his main assignment in running the Mission Schools.
In the meantime, being overburdened with financial constraints caused by the great earthquake of 1897 and most probably also being impressed that the North and South Mizoram were completely different countries, the Welsh Mission handed over the South in the hands of the Baptist Missionary Society (BMS) in 1902 in spite of disapproval expressed by Rev. Jones and Rev. Rowlands as they foresaw the possible problems that this decision could bring forth (especially due to denominationalism) in the future for the people of this region. However, as the BMS mission in the South was inevitable, on the suggestion of Rev. Rowlands, the BMS invited Rev. Lorrain and Rev. Savidge who were working among the Abors and Miris at Sadiya (now in Arunachal Pradesh) under the American Baptist Society, and wee sent back to Mizoram in 1903 to work this time as BMS missionaries after a gap of six years. Thus the South had become under the BMS mission whereas the North continued to be under the Welsh Mission.
After spending sometime for settlement Rev. Savidge and Rev. Lorrain resumed their New Testament translation work initially with the help of the two native leaders namely, Mr. Darruma and Mr. Darchhunga. Later on the main translator Rev. Lorrain was assisted by Rev. Zathanga in the translation work whereas Rev. Savidge, Rev. Haudala, Rev. Challiana, Rev. Chuautera and Rev. Khawnghinga assisted them in correcting the manuscripts. In the North, Rev. Jones translated the books of Matthew, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Hebrews and Revelation. Rev. Rowlands translated Mark and probably made drafts of Philippians, Colossians and 1 & 2 Thessalonians. However, as the need for revisions was felt to maintain consistency, in consultation between the North and the South all the New Testament translations done by the translators in the North had been reworked by translators in the South. Members from the North such as Upa Thanga and Upa R. Dala also helped them in the editing of the drafts.
The NT translation and editing of the drafts were finally ready for print in 1916. In these works Rev. Lorrain and Rev, Zathanga were the key persons. According to the Bible Society records the first complete Mizo New Testament was published by the Calcutta Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society in June 1916 in which 1000 copies were printed at Calcutta. It was reprinted in July the same year, in December 1917 and also in 1919 which was title Kan Lalpa Leh Chhandamtu Isua Krista Thuthlung Thar with the English title below which reads, The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.